Pain Au Chocolat
Bread flour 4 1/2 cups
Butter 3/4 cup + 2 TBSP
White Sugar 3/4 cup + 2 TBSP
Malt powder 1 TBSP
Acacia honey 1 TBSP
Fresh Yeast 1/4 cup
Whole milk 3 1/2 cups
Fine sea salt 3 1/2 cups
1. Mix flour, fresh yeast, butter, and sugar in a Kitchen Aid mixer with the paddle attachment or by hand.
2. Add milk little by little to previously mixed ingredients with the malt powder and acacia honey.
3. Add salt. When the dough is well incorporated, remove from mixer and finish mixing dough by hand.
4. Roll out small balls (the size of a golf ball) and arrange evenly on a Demarle SilPain® mat. For a liquid chocolate filling, insert 1 piece of dark chocolate inside before forming the balls.
5. Let it proof in a warm place at 35°C (95°F) until double its original volume. De-gas the rolls lightly. Allow to rise again.
6. Brush with egg wash on top of each roll.
7. Bake at 287-315°C (550-600°F) for about 5 minutes in the middle rack of the oven, until a medium golden brown color.
8. Rest on a wire rack until cool.