Seasoned wedding cake decorators are excellent storytellers. Through their wedding cake designs, they tell a story that reflects the journey of the newlyweds, making the once-in-a-lifetime event even more special.
To help you bring your creative ideas to life, we’ve rounded up our top 5 wedding cake tools for pros. These tools can help you better design wedding cakes and become more versatile – from making traditional wedding cakes to 3-tiered modern, edible arrangements adorned with edible leaves and petals, wedding cake toppers, metallic accents, and intricate details.
- Polystyrene Cake Dummies – “Every pro was once an amateur.” So keep practicing your craft with cake dummies until you get the cake design you want for your clients! These essential tools provide you a tiered cake base that you can use for practice, wedding fairs, storefront displays, and as dummy layers in real cakes. BakeDeco has a wide array of cake dummies that come in many shapes and sizes, such as 3 to 6-inch high round, square, heart, wacky, and hexagon fake cakes. They also have smooth sides to provide the best canvas for your practice designs.
- Cake Turntables – If you’re ready to make grander and more intricate cakes, equip your kitchen with sturdier cake turntables. These cake tools are designed to handle stacked cakes and other elaborate baking projects. The 12-inch Fat Daddio’s Plastic Revolving Cake Turntable is a perfect starter. Its ball bearings in the base allows it to rotate smoothly like its cast-iron counterparts. Or consider the electric-powered models like the Martellato Spinner Electric Cake Turntable. You can adjust the speed and direction of rotation so you can let it rotate automatically and keep your hands and eyes solely on decorating your cake.
- Gumpaste Flowers – Wedding themes vary, as should your collection of gumpaste flowers, making it easier for you to match your cake design with any wedding theme. Garden roses are quite common. They’re great all-year round. But depending on seasons and trends, you might also want to keep some edible cake flowers that are ideal for autumn and summer weddings in hand. For example, red poinsettia, hydrangea, calla lilies, and dahlias are best for boho chic weddings. You can also add some O-creme gumpaste butterflies to make your wedding cake look more rustic. To take your art to the next level, create flowers and wedding decors from scratch with the Wilton 10-Piece Fondant and Gum Paste Tool Set, florist wires and tapes, and stamens.
- Fondant and Buttercream Icing Smoothers – Give your wedding cakes a professional look with a sleek, smooth finish using fondant smoothers and cake decorating combs. The Wilton Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother is ideal for shaping and smoothing rolled fondant. It has a square back end to remove air bubbles and rounded base edges to prevent leaving ugly marks on your cake’s surface, keeping your fondant as smooth as a linen canvas ready to be painted with autumnal and summer hues. For tall and large cakes with buttercream icing, the 10” Stainless Steel Icing Smoother would be a great tool. Then, pair it with Ateco Decorating Combs and Designer Stencils to create exquisite patterns in the cake frosting.
- Cake Boards – Cake boards provide a solid foundation for your stacked cakes. It is essentially the very foundation that holds everything together so it pays to invest in a sturdy board for your baking projects. BakeDeco offers a line of cake boards in various colors, shapes and sizes to match your unique design requirements. Round, log and rectangle cake boards in gold, silver and white with scalloped or smooth edges are staple wedding cake tools for pros, while black cake boards are a bit rare and are usually ideal for chocolate wedding cakes.
With these 5 top wedding cake tools for pros, you can confidently decorate elaborate cakes and continue mastering your craft.
For further reading, check out: “5 Most Essential Equipment for Every Restaurant’s Kitchen.”